The Society for Human Resource Management kicked off the New Year by announcing three new members recently elected to the SHRM Board of Directors. They are:
- Coretha M. Rushing, chief human resources officer, Equifax Inc.;
- Brian D. Silva, SPHR, GPHR, senior vice president of human resources and administration, Fresenius Medical Care;
- José Tomas, SPHR, president of Latin America and Caribbean and global chief people officer, Burger King Corporation.
The three new SHRM Board members seem to answer one of the major concerns voiced by the SHRM Members for Transparency group that has been at odds with SHRM’s Board and leadership for the past two years — all three new board members are HR professionals.
Bette Francis will be SHRM’s next board chair
“We are pleased to welcome these three highly experienced human resource executives to the SHRM Board of Directors. Their expertise — experiences with business strategy and the global marketplace and an understanding of a changing workforce — will help guide SHRM as it continues to serve the needs of its membership,” said Henry G. (Hank) Jackson, president and CEO of SHRM, in a press release announcing the new board members. Jackson is also an ex officio voting member of the board.
In addition, Bette J. Francis, SPHR, a SHRM Board member since 2007, was re-elected to the SHRM board as chair-designate. Francis, vice president/director of human resources for Wilmington Trust’s Wealth Advisory Services in Wilmington, Del., will become SHRM’s Board Chair next year when she takes over for current chair Jose A. Berrios.
Two other executives who were named to the SHRM Board last October have also been re-elected to the 2012 board: Jorge Consuegra, a global business and marketing executive, and My-Chau Nguyen, CPA, senior vice president of customer relationship marketing for Sirius XM Radio. Neither of them is an HR professional.
Other members re-elected to the SHRM Board of Directors include:
- Jeffrey M. Cava, executive vice president and chief human resources officer, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.;
- Calvin W. Finch, CPA, senior vice president and chief financial officer, CPP, Inc.;
- James A. Kaitz, president and CEO, Association for Financial Professionals;
- Gary P. Latham, Ph.D., secretary of state professor of organizational behavior, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto;
- Virda M. Rhem, SPHR, director of human resources, Texas Property and Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association.
Also continuing on the 2012 SHRM Board will be Berrios, in the second year of his two-year term as chair; and Jackson, SHRM’s current president and CEO.