Exit interviews are about as effective as closing the barn door after the horses are out.
The best time to learn how your valued employees feel about their jobs is before they decide to leave. Here are some questions to ask as part of your routine employee retention interviews:
Article Continues Below
- What gets you excited about coming to work?
- What would you tell your best friend it’s like to work here?
- Are you planning to still be working here one, three, or five years from now?
- What would you like to be doing then if you are still here?
- If someone offered you $1,000 to quit, would you do it? Why or why not?
- What is the dumbest rule we have here?
- What is the most frustrating part of your job?
This was originally published on Mel Kleiman’s Humetrics blog.