What can organizations that are thrust into remote work learn from those that have been doing it for a long time?
As Will Warren, engineering manager for Trello SRE at Atlassian, presented at a recent DisruptHR talk, managing remote teams can be a challenge. He has some simple rules organizations can follow to make the most of their suddenly remote workforce.
- Ensure employees have dedicated space at their home. A door that closes helps.
- Employees need proper tools. A computer that works well and a desk that works is important.
- Time overlap is important. Across different timezones, Warren recommends you have four hours where everyone is online.
- Getting together in real life. Especially once the COVID-19 pandemic is over and if your organization decides to keep working remotely.
- Overcommunicate. Tone is hard to get right in writing so rely on video or phone calls.
- Assume everyone is remote. Even if you have some teams working in-person, make sure everyone is on an even playing field.
- Trust in your people. Your people will be doing their best work without direct, in-person supervision.
Watch the entire five minute DisruptHR talk to learn more.
Article Continues Below
In partnership with DisruptHR, TLNT presents some of the best Disrupt presentations from events across North America and now the world. Disrupt talks are modeled on the Ignite concept: Short, to the point talks on all things HR — talent, culture, and technology.