The original idea for this post came from the book First Break All the Rules: What the World’s Greatest Managers Do Differently by Marcus Buckingham. I’ve taken a checklist written for employees and changed it to be a self-test for managers.
Great managers make sure:
- Their employees know what is expected of them.
- Their employees have the equipment and materials they need to do their jobs.
- Their employees have plenty of opportunities to do what they do best.
- They give recognition or praise to employees who go above and beyond what is expected.
- Their employees know their manager cares about them.
- They encourage employees to learn, grow, and develop and give them the chance to do so.
- Every employee understands the values and mission of the organization and how what they do is important to reaching those goals.
- They help new employees develop friendships at work.
- They have a review with all employees at least every six months to let them know how they are doing.
- They inspire employee commitment to doing quality work.
This was originally published on Mel Kleiman’s Humetrics blog.